It has been very long since I have blogged. But this year, Im planning to post in a regular basis. Oh Itz one of my New Year's Resolution.
Ok... Itz festive season which includes colors, enjoyments, cakes, lights, gifts and more importantly delicious food. On this New Year , I was planning to make a tasty food, which i adore the most "Briyani". In India , Itz one of the spiciest food with lots and lots of ingredients, flavors and vegetables. Musilms are great in making this food item. The best common Briyani is "Hyderabadi Briyani" which is totally hot! Yummy!!!
Ahh! One the New Year day , overlapses another celebration called Thiruvaatharai. On this day, Kalli and Kootu is made. So Briyani is out of scope... Hmm! That z ok. Let me make it on the New Year's Eve.
Take a sec to look at the method to make this delicious delicacy!
Veg. Hyderabadi Biryani
A rice delicacy from Hyderabad
1 1/2 cup of Basmati rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
200 GMS. Potatoes, peeled & diced
200 GMS. Carrots, peeled & diced
50 GMS. Cashewnuts
50 GMS. Almonds, soaked & peeled
25 gms. Raisins
25 gms. Glazed Cherries
100 GMS. Onions, thinly sliced
4 nos. Green chilies, thinly sliced
1 tsp. each of Ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
1 tsp. Red chili powder
1 cup Curd
1 tsp. Saffron
2 tbsp. Milk
1/3 cup chopped Mint leaves
1/3 cup chopped Coriander leaves
6 Green cardamoms
2 Black cardamoms
1 stick of Cinnamon divided into four
3 Bay leaves
A pinch of Mace
Rose water as required
120 GMS. Ghee (clarified butter)
Salt according to taste
A little bit of kneaded wheat dough to seal the edges of the pan
1. Put the soaked rice in a pan and add 3 cups of water. To it add 3 Green cardamoms, 1 Black cardamoms,3 Cloves, 2 divided sticks of Cinnamon, and 1 Bay leaf. Bring the rice to a boil and cook until the rice is done. Drain and keep aside.
2. Beat the curd in a bowl and divide into two equal portions.
3. Dissolve saffron in warm milk and add it to one portion of the curd mixture.
4. Heat Ghee(clarified butter) in a pan, add the remaining Green cardamoms, Black cardamoms, Cloves, Cinnamon, Bay leaf , Mace and saut over medium heat until it begins to crackle.
5. Add onions, saut until golden brown, add green chilies, ginger, garlic and saut for a minute. Then add turmeric and chili powder, stir, add the chopped vegetables and stir for a minute.
6. Now add the remaining portion of plain curd, stir, add 2/3 cup water, and bring to a boil, then simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
7. Once the vegetables are done add the dry fruits and nuts.
To proceed :
1. In the pan with the cooked vegetables, sprinkle little saffron- curd mixture, mint and coriander.
2. Then spread half the rice and again sprinkle the remaining saffron-curd mixture, mint and coriander and top it with the remaining rice. Place a moist cloth on top, cover the lid and seal with wheat dough.
3. Put the sealed pan in a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes. Take out & SERVE HOT.
Make a yummy dish and start this New Year with great joy and happiness!